Hello once again! Welcome to another fun filled release blog 😉 I’m personally thrilled with a new feature in this release and I know several of you will be too! With that I give you:
For years we have had the ability to store documents in Purchase records, which is a great record keeping feature. We’ve been asked a few times about doing the same thing for computers, and I’m happy to say it’s now available! Computer and Device detail records now have a Documents pane where you can add whatever additional files you like. Popular use cases may include:
- Attach service record PDFs like a hardware replacement.
- Quickly attach purchase records if you don’t want to use our full purchase module.
- Add a TXT file to keep a simple history of the hardware allocation (prior users, locations, etc).
- Keep PDF copies of important forms like Admin agreements, Export agreements, Loaner agreements, etc.
- Add a web link. If you were unaware, you can drag and drop URLs from browsers into the Documents pane (KeyConfigure or Web UI) to store links!
In a pinch this allows smaller organizations to keep records in simple ways that they may not otherwise have a place for. Large organizations can keep track of various paperwork and history which is a benefit in lifecycle management. Adding web links means easy reference to vendor sites or internal resources. We invite you to get creative! One site for example is using a custom Device type for Vehicles along with our Loaner Checkout Extra to loan out cars and trucks they maintain. So, this new feature will allow attachment of the vehicle paperwork to that “device” record.
Other Hardware Enhancements
We have a variety of little things worth mentioning here. Several changes will make reporting of devices and other hardware details from the client more robust and timely. This in turn can allow for more dynamic Rules processing in some settings. The Papercut integration now does better remediation of record updates to avoid duplications. You can choose to show Computers with no usage in the Logins (DIV x comp) report for a more complete picture. And finally, using the Locked option in the Asset pane of Computers now works in the Web UI. All these items help maintain your inventory even better than before.
- New OAuth Authentication module added for PingIdentity customers
- Products Not Being Used widget has new option to exclude Editions when Family has usage for a cleaner view
- Search on External ID in the Loaner Extra which can be populated by AD values using our Admin Script
- The rest of the things in our release history including more than 40 dead bugs and 12 total changes 😉
Note on Text Files
If you save out Reports in TXT format be aware of a possibly important change! In order to have better accuracy, consistency across fields, and standardization, the date/time fields are now in in YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS instead of MM/DD/YYYY. So if you have any automations based on the old format, please ensure they are updated accordingly.
That’s a wrap for this release! It’s a decent size one as it’s been over 2 months since the last. Yes the build date in the history is 4/30 and it’s now 5/20 when we released it. That’s a side effect of our build process and speaks to the extra stuff we added in testing, don’t let it confuse you 😉
Remember you can keep informed of announcements like this using our News Widget or following us on Social Media. As always we welcome any feedback you might have and keep the bug reports coming. Hope you enjoy the new stuff and stay safe out there!