In response to urgent remote computing needs, Sassafras has created a quick modification for KeyReporter version 22.214.171.124 and later. This adds a dynamic link to Availability Map list views for remote connections to available computers. If you need to upgrade your server to the latest version please contact Sassafras support for any assistance you may require. As this is a mid stream modification, please contact Sassafras support to obtain the zip archive of new files for this change. Two files are in the zip which go in the following locations:
maps.html goes in:
C:\Program Files\Sassafras K2\Server\support\Helper Data\KeyReporter Data Folder\maps\
This will replace the existing file which you can set aside first if you like for backup.
rdp.json goes in:
C:\Program Files\Sassafras K2\Server\support\Helper Data\KeyReporter Data Folder\public
Adjust as needed if you are running your server on Linux or Mac.
As these files are called on the fly no restart of server services is required.
The modification adds a new column to the List View of Map Floorplans that has the IP address of the machine which is hyperlinked.
- The linked IP is only shown for “Available” machines (off or logged out).
- Clicking the link will download an RDP file for Windows targets which can then be opened to connect to the computer. Remote Desktop is built in to Windows OS but Mac systems will need the Microsoft Remote Desktop app (or similar) from the App Store.
- For Mac and Linux targets this will trigger Screen Sharing (VNC) when browsing on a Mac.
- We are unaware of an application that will add an automatic handler for VNC on Windows, but you can copy the link target or manually type the IP into something like RealVNC Viewer.
- Of course this mechanism relies on the target client having RDP or VNC (screen sharing) enabled for connection, as well as access through any Firewalls. A VPN may be needed depending on your environment.
Because this link only shows in list view of Floorplans, you may want to quick make a new Map Tab for Divisions and make a quick list view for each division (just click Add, not Create Floorplan). This saves you from deleting your existing maps, or having users flip to the list view for each map to connect to a machine. You can then publish the direct link to the list view map tab you created.
As always if you have any questions or need assistance please do not hesitate to contact us at Sassafras Support.