Hanover, NH – September 8, 2009: Just in time to address current economic challenges, Sassafras Software has released the next major version of K2 – KeyAuditor & KeyServer with important new tools for optimizing, automating, and simplifying the management of software assets throughout an enterprise.
K2 version 6.2 integrates new measurement metrics into application usage tracking so that re-allocation of unused software licenses (and the K2 client itself) can become fully automatic based on usage patterns. The extensive set of built in reports can then be scrutinized for trend analysis, migration planning, and for license contract renewal negotiations. Many of the routine software asset management tasks will no longer require attention, thus resulting in greater optimization of software budget and personnel resources.
K2-managed organizations have historically demonstrated impressive cost savings through the use of K2’s analytical licensing tools. Now, with the release of K2 v6.2’s new automation features, software asset managers will be able to streamline the steps to software cost reduction throughout their organization. “These new cost-reduction capabilities are being made available at a critically important time for all of our customers as they must address new economic challenges in their organizational planning.” said John Tomeny, VP of Business Development.
K2 is a cross platform Software Asset Management (SAM) solution for managing software license entitlements throughout an enterprise. K2 tracks, controls, and reports software usage for license compliance and cost reduction. K2’s comprehensive reports include extensive hardware profiles and complete software audits in detailed or summary formats.
Software usage histories and trends can be examined across an enterprise and its divisions. Customizable reports provide integrated views of software and hardware asset allocation, software usage patterns, and license compliance for Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Solaris, and virtual computers. Reports are fully interactive so you can click on any line to bring up related detail reports or relevant configuration panels. The Web Reports component supports RSS feeds to deliver html formated reports that can be scheduled for automatic execution.
K2’s data can be easily integrated with other SAM/ITAM tools for customized reports that combine data from multiple sources. K2 scales from managing small lab facilities with just a few dozen computers to global enterprises managing tens of thousands of computers worldwide.
What’s New in K2 version 6.2?
- Automatic reclaiming of KeyServer client licenses for inactive computers
- Data archiving for inactive computers
- Expanded computer hardware details
- Tracking installation and usage of application software on Linux and Solaris
- Tracking of software usage within virtualized environments
- Collects serial numbers for certain applications during software audits
- Seamless integration of online and offline software license usage tracking
- Automated recovery of abandoned software licenses
- Easy management of distinct software versions within an application family
- Instantly toggle between multiple views or groupings within a report
- Usage during customizable time sets (Lab hours, work shifts, etc.) summarized separately
- Additional built-in reports support specific customer requests
- SSL (HTTPS) support in KeyReporter for secure web based reporting
Expanded Operating System Support
- Compatible with Microsoft Software Virtualization (SoftGrid), VMware, & ThinApps
- Solaris on Intel and Sparc, plus expanded Linux support
- 64-bit Windows support including Windows 7
- Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
- Support for IPv6 (Internet Protocol v6)
- Support for encrypted communications and KeyServer host verification
Increased Third-party Compatibility
- LDAP and Active Directory authentication enhancements
- Support for nested groups in Active Directory
- Expanded data compatibility with third party processes
Availability and Pricing
K2 6.2 begins shipping on September 8, 2009. Customers who purchased K2 after November 30, 2008, and customers with an Upgrade Subscription Plan, will receive K2 version 6.2 at no charge. New purchase costs, which include the entire package (no add-on components are required) and free technical support, are computed on a per-client basis with average price per client costs dropping below $10.00/seat for large sites using K2 to manage thousands of computers.
Upgrade costs for customers without an Upgrade Subscription Plan are computed based on the size of each K2 installation and its last purchase date. Discounts are available for educational and non-profit organizations.
Additional information and evaluation copies are available by contacting:
Sassafras Software Inc.
About Sassafras Software, Inc.
Sassafras Software is an early pioneer in the development of software license compliance and software asset management (SAM) technology for desktop computers. For 20 years Sassafras technology has been a critical part of license compliance and software cost reduction efforts in some of the largest corporate, educational and government enterprise networks worldwide. Sassafras enjoys broad support from software publishers, including many technical partners that rely exclusively on K2-KeyServer technology.
Sassafras has been instrumental in driving the development of software licensing standards for two decades. Members of the Sassafras team were among the coauthors of the LS-API specification in the early 1990’s. In recent years, a Sassafras volunteer has contributed as a coauthor to the ISO/IEC 19770-2 international standard for software identification and served as the Convener of the working group developing the ISO/IEC 19770-3 standard for software license entitlements.
Sassafras Software has been recognized by the world’s leading IT Asset Management associations with the highest levels of professional recognition in the IT Asset Management industry.